Week in Review Solomon & Sons, Kings

BC Blurb: I came across this on Truthbase.net. If you're caught up on the posts from this week, you might want to compare what was going on back in David and Solomon's lives in the record written before the captivity. If you like surveys, just type "survey" into the search bar on Truthbase.net and you can pull up a handful for Chronicles.


I Kings Survey Part I: Solomon & Sons, Kings

(c) 1996 WF Cobb Truthbase.net

Began by Grace 1:29 King David swore: As the LORD lives, who has redeemed my soul out of all distress, 30 as I swore to you by the LORD God of Israel: Solomon thy son shall reign after me, and he shall sit upon my throne in my stead...1Ch 22:9
Blessed by Obedience 2:2 I go the way of all the earth: be you strong therefore, and show thyself a man; 3 And keep the charge of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that you may prosper in all that you do, and wherever you turn thyself: 4 That the LORD may continue his word which he spoke concerning me, saying, If thy children take heed to their way, to walk before me in truth with all their heart and with all their soul, there shall not fail you (said he) a man on the throne of Israel.
Carries out David's desires 2:5 you know what Joab the son of Zeruiah did to me...9 Now therefore hold him not guiltless: for you are a wise man, and know what you ought to do to him; but his gray head do you bring down to the grave with blood.
Carries out the will of God 2:24 as the LORD lives, who has established me, and set me on the throne of David my father, and who has made me an house, as he promised, Adonijah shall be put to death this day. 26 And to Abiathar the priest...I will not put you to death, because you bore the ark of the Lord GOD before David my father, and because you have been afflicted in all in which my father was afflicted. 27 Solomon removed Abiathar from being priest that he might fulfil the word of the LORD, spoke concerning the house of Eli in Shiloh.
Executes justice 2:31...bury him; take away the innocent blood, which Joab shed, from me, the house of my father.
Loyally Loves, Humbly Asks 3:3 And Solomon loved the LORD, by walking in the statutes of David his father: only he sacrificed and burnt incense in high places. 4...thousand burnt offerings did Solomon offer upon that altar. 5 the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night: and God said, Ask what I shall give you. 6 Solomon said, You have shown to thy servant David my father great mercy, according as he walked before you in truth, and in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart with you; and you have kept for him this great kindness, that you have given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is this day. 7 And now, O LORD my God, you have made thy servant king instead of David my father: and I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in. 9 Give therefore to thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people? 10 And the speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing. 11 And God said to him, Because you have asked this thing, and have not asked for thyself long life; neither have asked riches for thyself, nor have asked the life of thy enemies; but have asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment; 12 Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given you a wise and an understanding heart; so that there has been none like you before you, neither after you shall any arise like you. 13 And I have also given you that which you have not asked, both riches, and honor: so that there shall not be any among the kings like you all thy days. 14 And if you wilt walk in my ways, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as thy father David did walk, then I will lengthen thy days. 4:29 And God gave Solomon great wisdom and understanding, and largeness of heart, even as the sand that is on the sea shore. 30 And Solomon's wisdom excelled the wisdom of all Pr 22:4
Builds for God's glory 5:4 But now the LORD my God has given me rest on every side, so that there is neither adversary nor evil occurs. 5 I purpose to build an house to the name of the LORD my God, as the LORD spoke to David my father, saying, Thy son, whom I will set upon thy throne in thy stead, he shall build an house to my name. 6:1 430 years...out of the land of Egypt...12 if walk in my statutes, and execute my judgments, and keep all my commandments to walk in them; then will I perform my word...13 And I will dwell among the children of Israel, and will not forsake my people Israel. 14 So Solomon built the house, and finished it.
Worships with his eyes open 8:1 Then Solomon assembled...that they might bring the ark of the covenant of the LORD...10 the cloud filled the house of the LORD, 11 So that the priests could not stand to minister because of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of the LORD. 15 And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Israel, who spoke with his mouth to David my father, and has with his hand fulfilled it 20 Indeed the LORD has performed his word that he spoke, and I have risen...sit on the throne...as promised, and have built... 21 And I have set there a place for the ark, in which is the covenant of the LORD...23 LORD God of Israel, there is no God like you, in heaven above, or on earth beneath, who keeps covenant and mercy with thy servants that walk before you with all their heart...32 Then hear you in heaven, and do, and judge thy servants, condemning the wicked, to bring his way upon his head; and justifying the righteous, to give him according to his righteousness. 33 When thy people Israel shall be smitten before the enemy, because they have sinned against you, and shall turn again to you, and confess thy name, and pray, and make supplication to you in this house: 34 Then hear you in heaven, and forgive the sin of thy people Israel, and bring them again to the land which you gave to their fathers....40 That they may fear you
Has TOYL Purpose 8:41 Moreover concerning a stranger...far country for thy name's sake; 42 (For they shall hear of thy great name, and of thy strong hand, and of thy outstretched arm;) when he shall come and pray toward this house 43 Hear you in heaven thy dwelling place, and do according to all that the stranger calls to you for: that all people of the earth may know thy name, to fear you...
Knows Promises have a Purpose 8:56 Blessed be the LORD, given rest to his people Israel, according to all that he promised: there has not failed one word of all his good promise by the hand of Moses his servant. 57 The LORD our God be with us, as he was with our fathers: let him not leave us, nor forsake us: 58 That he may incline our hearts to him, to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and his statutes, and his judgments, which he commanded our fathers. 59...maintain the cause of his servant...60 That all the people of the earth may know that the LORD is God, and that there is none else. 61 Let your heart therefore be perfect with the LORD our God, to walk in his statutes, and to keep his commandments, as at this day.
10:1 the queen of Sheba heard of the fame of Solomon concerning the name of the LORD, she came to try him with hard questions. 4...had seen all Solomon's wisdom, and the house...5 food...sitting of his servants...attendance of his ministers, and their apparel, and his cupbearers, and his ascent by which he went up to the house of the LORD; there was no more spirit in her. 9 Blessed be the LORD thy God, who delighted in you, to set you on the throne of Israel: because the LORD loved Israel for ever, therefore he made you king, to do judgment and justice.
Cars, Cuties & Cash 10:14 gold...23 So king Solomon exceeded all the kings of the earth for riches and for wisdom. 26 Solomon gathered chariots and horsemen: 1,400 chariots, 12,000 horsemen 28 Solomon had horses brought from Egypt...29 And a chariot came up and went out of Egypt...11:1 Solomon loved many foreign women...2 Of the nations concerning which the LORD said to the children of Israel, Ye shall not go in to them, neither shall they come in to you: for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods: Solomon held fast to these in love. 3 700 wives, princesses, 300 concubines: and his wives turned away his heart. 4 his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father. 6 And Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD, and went not fully after the LORD, as did David his father. 9 And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart was turned from the LORD God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice, 10 And had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods: but he kept not that which the LORD commanded. 11 Wherefore the LORD said to Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done by you, and you have not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom away from you.
QT Dt 17:16 But he (the king) shall not multiply horses to himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt, to the end that he should multiply horses: forasmuch as the LORD has said to you, You shall henceforth return no more that way. 17 Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart may turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold. 18 And it shall be, when he sits upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites: 19 And it shall be with him, and he shall read in it all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them: 20 That his heart may not be lifted above his brethren, and that he may not turn aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left: to the end that he may prolong his days in his kingdom, he, and his children, in the midst of Israel.

LIKE FATHER LIKE SON

Prize promised 11:31 he said to Jeroboam, Take ten pieces: for thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel, Behold, I will tear the kingdom from the hand of Solomon, and will give ten tribes to you: 32 But he shall have one tribe for my servant David's sake...33 Because they have forsaken me, and have worshipped Ashtoreth...and have not walked in my ways, to do that which is right in my eyes, and to keep my statutes and my judgments, as did David his father. 37 reign according to all that thy soul desires, and be king over Israel. 38 if you wilt hearken to all that I command you, and wilt walk in my ways, and do right in my sight, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as David my servant did; that I will be with you, and build you a sure house, as I built for David, and will give Israel to you.
Ignoring Wisdom 12:1 Rehoboam went to Shechem...make him king 4...make the grievous service of thy father, and his heavy yoke, lighter, and we will serve you. 6 Rehoboam consulted with the old men...7...If you wilt be a servant to this people this day, and wilt serve them, and answer them, and speak good words to them, then they will be thy servants for ever. 10 the young men that had grown up with him spoke to him...My little finger shall be thicker than my father's loins 15...the cause was from the LORD, that he might perform his saying...to Jeroboam 19 So Israel rebelled against the house of David to this day.
Fear erodes faith 12:26 And Jeroboam...27 If this people go up to perform sacrifice in the house of the LORD at Jerusalem, their heart will turn again to Rehoboam, and they shall kill me 28 Upon which the king took counsel, and made two calves of gold, and said to them, It is too much for you to go up to Jerusalem: behold thy gods, O Israel, which brought you out of the land of Egypt. 31 And he made an house of high places, and made priests of the lowest of the people, who were not of the sons of Levi.
Precise obedience required 13:4...Lay hold on him. And his hand, which he put forth against him, dried up...5 The altar also was torn down, and the ashes poured out from the altar, according to the sign which the man of God had given by the word of the LORD. 6...Entreat now the face of the LORD thy God, and pray for me, that my hand may be restored to me again...8 And the man of God said to the king, If you wilt give me half thy house, I will not go in with you, neither will I eat bread nor drink water in this place: 21 Thus saith the LORD, Forasmuch as you have disobeyed the mouth of the LORD, and have not kept the commandment which the LORD thy God commanded you...24 And when he had gone, a lion met him by the way, and slew him
33 After this thing Jeroboam returned not from his evil way...7 Go, tell Jeroboam, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Forasmuch as I exalted you from among the people, and made you prince over my people Israel, 8 And tore the kingdom away from the house of David, and gave it to you: and yet you have not been as my servant David, who kept my commandments, and who followed me with all his heart, to do that only which was right in my eyes; 16 And he shall give up Israel because of the sins of Jeroboam, who sinned, and who made Israel to sin.
Irritating God 14:22  And Judah did evil in the sight of the LORD, and they provoked him to jealousy with their sins which they had committed, above all that their fathers had done. 23 For they also built for themselves high places, and images, and idols, on every high hill, and under every green tree. 24 And there were also male cult prostitutes in the land: and they did according to all the abominations of the nations which the LORD cast out
15:3 Abijam walked in all the sins of his father and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father. 4 for David's sake the LORD gave him a lamp in Jerusalem...5 Because David did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, and turned not aside from what he commanded him all the days of his life, except only in the matter of Uriah the Hittite.
15:11 Asa did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, as did David his father. 12 And he banished the male cult prostitutes from the land, and removed all the idols that his fathers had made. 15:13 And also Maachah his mother, even her he removed from being queen, because she had made an idol in a grove; and Asa destroyed her idol, and burnt it by the brook Kidron. 14 But the high places were not removed: nevertheless Asa's heart was perfect with the LORD all his days.
16:25 Omri wrought evil in the eyes of the LORD, and did worse than all before him 26 walked in all the way of Jeroboam and in his sin...to provoke the LORD God of Israel to anger with their vanities. 30 And Ahab the son of Omri did evil in the sight of the LORD above all that were before him. 31 And it came to pass, as if it had been a light thing for him to walk in the sins of Jeroboam that he took to wife Jezebel and went and served Baal, and worshipped him.

Questions for Reflection/Discussion/Response:

1. If God gave you three wishes, what wouldn't you request, and why? What would you request and why?
2. What relationships exists among God's promises, faith, obedience, glorifying God, and being blessed?
3. How do cars, cuties, and cash (power, pleasure, & possessions) trip up followers of God?
4. T or F: Your children/disciples will exceed your wickedness, but be limited by your righteousness.
5. What do you do to incline your heart toward God's commands, and promises?

No comments:

Post a Comment