Genesis 16-19 Abraham Gets A Makeover

Psalm 4:1-8 God Gives Relief and Gladness
4:1 A Psalm by David “Answer me when I call, God of my righteousness. Give me relief from my distress. Have mercy on me, and hear my prayer. 2 You sons of men, how long shall my glory be turned into dishonor? Will you love vanity, and seek after falsehood? Selah.
3 But know that Yahweh has set apart for himself him who is godly: Yahweh will hear when I call to Him. 4 Stand in awe, and don’t sin. Search your own heart on your bed, and be still. Selah. 5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness. Put your trust in Yahweh.
6 Many say, "Who will show us any good?" Yahweh, let the light of Your face shine on us. 7 You have put gladness in my heart, more than when their grain and their new wine are increased. 8 In peace I will both lay myself down and sleep, for You, Yahweh alone, make me live in safety."

Observations: 4:1-5 David is distressed by his evil enemies and calls to God for mercy and relief. His confidence in God was rooted in the fact that God watches over the righteous to deliver them. Therefore he admonishes his hearers to search their hearts for any ungodliness, and to put their trust in Yahweh.
4:6-8 When things are looking most bleak, David exercised the most faith in the character and promises of God. As a result he was able to praise Him for protection and prosperity, when God helped Him. God doesn't just barely save, but gives joy and gladness for which we should praise Him.

Application: Search your heart to see if there is anything that would prevent God from coming to your aid when you pray, and then praise Him for His help and blessing.

Prayer: God, thanks for hearing my prayer and helping me, and going beyond that to giving me joy and gladness. Amen.

Proverbs 2:4-5 Where Do You Find Hidden Treasure?
2:4 “If you seek understanding like silver, and search for it like hidden treasure, 5 Then you will understand the fear of Yahweh, and you will discover the knowledge of God.”

Observation: The gems never lie on the surface; you have to dig for them. The digging impresses Truth more deeply on our minds (and working up a Bible Study sweat keeps us out of trouble).

Lexical Light: Genesis 2:5 The LXX (Greek translation of the OT done in ~250 BC) translates the Hebrew “fear” with phobeo, from which we get the English “phobia,” no laughing matter. “Fear” is used twice in Exodus 20:20, once to “fear not” and the other time to keep the fear of God in front of us so we don't sin. So you can see that it isn't just a matter of "respect," but something that alters our conduct.

Application: Roll up your sleeves, dig in the Scriptures, get dirty, and sweat a bit; then see what you find!

Prayer: God, help me not be content with pious platitudes, but rather be striving to know You.



Genesis 16-19 Abraham Gets A Makeover

Genesis 16 God Even Blesses Israel's Enemies
16:2 "Sarai said to Abram, “See now, Yahweh has restrained me from bearing. Please go in to my handmaid (Hagar). It may be that I will obtain children by her.” Abram listened to the voice of Sarai. 5 Sarai said to Abram, “This wrong is your fault...6...Sarai dealt harshly with Hagar, and she fled...9 The angel of Yahweh said to Hagar, “Return to your mistress, and submit yourself.” 10 “I will greatly multiply your seed, that they will not be numbered for multitude.” 11 The angel of Yahweh said to her, “Behold, you are with child, and will bear a son. You shall call his name Ishmael, because Yahweh has heard your affliction. 12 He will be like a wild donkey among men. His hand will be against every man, and every man’s hand against him. He will live opposite all of his brothers.” 13 She called the name of Yahweh who spoke to her, “You are a God who sees,”

Observations: Rather than calling out to God to satisfy her desire and solve her problem (as Hagar does) Sarai fails to wait for God to fulfill His promise, and causes problems for herself and Israel.
16:2 Like Eve, Sarai takes a short-cut to God's will, after waiting ten years. Not a good idea either time, nor today. Wait for it.
16:10 God even blesses Israel's enemies when they call out to Him, and submit to His plan.

Application: Lesson to the Exodus generation and us: God will eventually fulfill His promises at the perfect time. It takes faith to wait. We will regret short cuts. What are you waiting for?

Prayer: Oh God who sees, hears and blesses, thank you that you know what I need and want, and have perfect plan to bless me. Don't let me blow it. Amen.

Genesis 17 Abe Gets A Makeover
17:1 "When Abram was ninety-nine years old, Yahweh appeared to Abram, and said to him, “I am God Almighty. Walk before Me/My face, and be blameless. 2 I will make My covenant between Me and you, and will multiply you exceedingly.” 3 Abram fell on his face...
5 Neither will your name any more be called Abram, but your name will be Abraham; for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations. 6 I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make nations of you. Kings will come out of you. 7 I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your seed after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God to you and to your seed after you. 8 I will give to you, and to your seed after you, the land where you are traveling, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession. I will be their God.”
10 "This is My covenant, which you shall keep, between Me and you and your seed after you. Every male among you shall be circumcised...14 The uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that soul shall be cut off from his people. He has broken My covenant.”
15 God said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai, but her name will be Sarah. 16 I will bless her, and moreover I will give you a son by her. Yes, I will bless her, and she will be a mother of nations. Kings of peoples will come from her.”
17 Then Abraham fell on his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, “Will a child be born to him who is one hundred years old? Will Sarah, who is ninety years old, give birth?”
20 As for Ishmael, I have heard you. Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly. He will become the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation. 21 But My covenant I establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you at this set time next year.”
22 When he finished talking with him, God went up from Abraham. 23 Abraham took Ishmael his son, all who were born in his house, and all who were bought with his money; every male among the men of Abraham’s house, and circumcised the flesh of their foreskin in the same day, as God had said to him."

Observations: 17:1 Ishmael is now a teenager. No mention of God speaking to Abe for 13 years. Consequence of the Hagar incident?
"Walk before my face, and be blameless." This is an invitation to intimacy, to enjoy the same unhindered fellowship God had with Adam. The invite is extended to the nation in verse 9. Sheep enjoy intimacy with the Shepherd as He watches their backs. Did God actually expect Abe and Israel to do this?
17:5 Abe name change from “father of high places (barren places?)" to “father of multitudes".
Sarai goes from “princess” to “noblewoman” in Genesis 17:15.
17:10 Circumcision was a daily reminder of the seed promise.
17:14 Word play? Being cut off today means no inheritance. In Genesis 15, and reiterated here, God unconditionally gave the land to Israel forever. Dwelling in it, enjoying His blessings in it, were conditioned upon continued obedience.
17:21 Covenantal blessing is exclusively to Isaac and his seed, not Ishmael.
17:23 Abe was quick to obey, which is part of being blameless.

Structure: Lots of repetition for emphasis (see text below)

Application: “Live before My face, and be blameless.” Does God actually expect us to do this?

Prayer: God Almighty, Yahweh, I accept Your invitation to intimacy. Let's talk. Amen.

Genesis 18:1-19 Sarah Gets A Promise
18:1 "Yahweh appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day. 2 He lifted up his eyes and looked, and saw that three men stood opposite him... 10...Behold, Sarah your wife will have a son.”...13 Yahweh said to Abraham, “Why did Sarah laugh, saying, ‘Will I really bear a child, yet I am old?’ 14 Is anything too hard for Yahweh?"
16 The men rose up from there, and looked toward Sodom. Abraham went with them to see them on their way. 17 Yahweh said, “Will I hide from Abraham what I do, 18 since Abraham has surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth will be blessed in him? 19 For I have known him, to the end that he may command his children and his household after him, that they may keep the way of Yahweh, to do righteousness and justice; to the end that Yahweh may bring on Abraham that which He has spoken of him.”

Observations: 18:14 God can do anything He determines to do. He wants an intimate relationship with His people, but they aren't determined to cooperate.
18:19 This is a key verse for understanding God's plan to bless. God wants to bless, but He is purposeful in blessing obedience. He is also purposeful with the fire and brimstone stuff (next sections).

Question: Exactly how big is your God? Be specific about His size and abilities.

Application: Exactly how determined are you to be blessable and experience knowing Him?

Prayer: Oh God for Whom nothing is too difficult, help me do the difficult things necessary to keep Your way. Amen.



Genesis 18:20-33 Abe Gets God Down To Ten
18:20 "Yahweh said, “Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous, 21 I will go down now, and see whether their deeds are as bad as the reports which have come to me. If not, I will know.” 22 The men turned from there, and went toward Sodom, but Abraham stood yet before Yahweh. 23 Abraham drew near, and said, “Will you consume the righteous with the wicked? 24 What if there are fifty righteous within the city?...32 He said, “Oh don’t let the Lord be angry, and I will speak just once more. What if ten are found there?” He said, “I will not destroy it for the ten’s sake.” 33 Yahweh went his way, as soon as He had finished communing with Abraham, and Abraham returned to his place."

Observations: Humorous irony. God knows when Sarah will have a son, but needs “eye-witness news” to know Sodom's sin. How did He know about things in Noah's day?
18:21 Just because God doesn't immediately judge, it doesn't mean that He won't. His judgment is always based upon solid evidence.
18:32 God is gracious in letting His blessings upon the righteous minority splash over upon even the grievously wicked majority. This doesn't go on forever.

Genesis 19 Somebody's A-Salted in Sodom
Lot's Wife rock formation near Dead Sea
19:1 "The two angels came to Sodom at evening. Lot sat in the gate of Sodom. Lot saw them...3 He urged them greatly...4...the men of Sodom, surrounded the house, both young and old, all the people from every quarter. 5 They called to Lot, and said to him, “Where are the men who came in to you this night? Bring them out to us, that we may have sex with them.”
11 They (the angels) struck the men who were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great, so that they wearied themselves to find the door. 12 The men said to Lot, “Do you have anybody else here? Sons-in-law, your sons, your daughters, and whoever you have in the city, bring them out of the place: 13 for we will destroy this place, because the outcry against them has grown great before Yahweh that Yahweh has sent us to destroy it.”
14 Lot went out, and spoke to his sons-in-law, who were pledged to marry his daughters, and said, “Get up! Get out of this place, for Yahweh will destroy the city.” But he seemed to his sons-in-law to be joking. 15 When the morning came, then the angels hurried Lot, saying, “Get up! Take your wife, and your two daughters who are here, lest you be consumed in the iniquity of the city.” 16 But he lingered; and the men grabbed his hand, his wife’s hand, and his two daughters’ hands, Yahweh being merciful to him; and they took him out, and set him outside of the city. 17 It came to pass, when they had taken them out, that he said, “Escape for your life! Don’t look behind you...
24 Then Yahweh rained on Sodom and on Gomorrah sulfur and fire from Yahweh out of the sky...26 But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt. 27 Abraham got up early in the morning to the place where he had stood before Yahweh. 28 He looked toward Sodom and Gomorrah, and toward all the land of the plain, and looked, and saw that the smoke of the land went up as the smoke of a furnace."

30 "Lot...lived in a cave with his two daughters...36 Thus both of Lot’s daughters were with child by their father. 37 The firstborn bore a son, and named him Moab. He is the father of the Moabites to this day. 38 The younger also bore a son, and called his name Ben Ammi. He is the father of the children of Ammon to this day."

Observations: Although “righteous,” Lot valued happiness over holiness (separation), and consequently made his own life (and that of Israel) unhappy.
2 Peter 2:6 "...turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction, having made them an example to those who would live ungodly; 7 and delivered righteous Lot, who was very distressed by the lustful life of the wicked 8 (for that righteous man dwelling among them, was tormented in his righteous soul from day to day with seeing and hearing lawless deeds): 9 the Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptation and to keep the unrighteous under punishment for the day of judgment; 10 but chiefly those who walk after the flesh in the lust of defilement, and despise authority. Daring, self-willed..."
19:30 Lot got his daughters out of Sodom, but didn't get Sodom out of his daughters.
Both the Moabites and Ammonites proved to be a snare to Israel. (Ezra 9:1)

Application: We need to remove ourselves from situations which can compromise our sanctification. Remember Lot’s wife.” See Luke 17:32.

Prayer: Merciful God, thanks for Your gracious love and protection. May I not linger in nor look back to the sin from which You have delivered me. Amen.



Digging Deeper:

God in a nutshell: Gracious, patient, merciful, and open to reason, yet can be as powerful in Judging as He is in Blessing. He responds to cries for justice, and demands justice and righteousness from those who would be intimate with Him.

Us in a nutshell: A little slow to believe and do what is in our best interests. God initiates a relationship with us so we can keep His way, demonstrating His righteousness and justice, so He can bless us.

Where to Go for More:

Genesis 16-19 (complete text)
Genesis 16
16:1 "Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, bore him no children. She had a handmaid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar. 2 Sarai said to Abram, “See now, Yahweh has restrained me from bearing. Please go in to my handmaid. It may be that I will obtain children by her.” Abram listened to the voice of Sarai. 3 Sarai, Abram’s wife, took Hagar the Egyptian, her handmaid, after Abram had lived ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to Abram her husband to be his wife. 4 He went in to Hagar, and she conceived. When she saw that she had conceived, her mistress was despised in her eyes. 5 Sarai said to Abram, “This wrong is your fault. I gave my handmaid into your bosom, and when she saw that she had conceived, I was despised in her eyes. Yahweh judge between me and you.”
6 But Abram said to Sarai, “Behold, your maid is in your hand. Do to her whatever is good in your eyes.” Sarai dealt harshly with her, and she fled from her face.
7 The angel of Yahweh found her by a fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain on the way to Shur. 8 He said, “Hagar, Sarai’s handmaid, where did you come from? Where are you going?”
She said, “I am fleeing from the face of my mistress Sarai.”
9 The angel of Yahweh said to her, “Return to your mistress, and submit yourself under her hands.” 10 The angel of Yahweh said to her, “I will greatly multiply your seed, that they will not be numbered for multitude.” 11 The angel of Yahweh said to her, “Behold, you are with child, and will bear a son. You shall call his name Ishmael, because Yahweh has heard your affliction. 12 He will be like a wild donkey among men. His hand will be against every man, and every man’s hand against him. He will live opposite all of his brothers.”
13 She called the name of Yahweh who spoke to her, “You are a God who sees,” for she said, “Have I even stayed alive after seeing him?” 14 Therefore the well was called Beer Lahai Roi.* Behold, it is between Kadesh and Bered.
15 Hagar bore a son for Abram. Abram called the name of his son, whom Hagar bore, Ishmael. 16 Abram was eighty-six years old when Hagar bore Ishmael to Abram."

Genesis 17
17:1 "When Abram was ninety-nine years old, Yahweh appeared to Abram, and said to him, “I am God Almighty. Walk before me, and be blameless. 2 I will make my covenant between me and you, and will multiply you exceedingly.”
3 Abram fell on his face. God talked with him, saying, 4 “As for me, behold, my covenant is with you. You will be the father of a multitude of nations. 5 Neither will your name any more be called Abram, but your name will be Abraham; for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations. 6 I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make nations of you. Kings will come out of you. 7 I will establish my covenant between me and you and your seed after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God to you and to your seed after you. 8 I will give to you, and to your seed after you, the land where you are traveling, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession. I will be their God.”
9 God said to Abraham, “As for you, you will keep my covenant, you and your seed after you throughout their generations. 10 This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your seed after you. Every male among you shall be circumcised. 11 You shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskin. It will be a token of the covenant between me and you. 12 He who is eight days old will be circumcised among you, every male throughout your generations, he who is born in the house, or bought with money from any foreigner who is not of your seed. 13 He who is born in your house, and he who is bought with your money, must be circumcised. My covenant will be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant. 14 The uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that soul shall be cut off from his people. He has broken my covenant.”
15 God said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai, but her name will be Sarah. 16 I will bless her, and moreover I will give you a son by her. Yes, I will bless her, and she will be a mother of nations. Kings of peoples will come from her.”
17 Then Abraham fell on his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, “Will a child be born to him who is one hundred years old? Will Sarah, who is ninety years old, give birth?” 18 Abraham said to God, “Oh that Ishmael might live before you!”
19 God said, “No, but Sarah, your wife, will bear you a son. You shall call his name Isaac.* I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant for his seed after him. 20 As for Ishmael, I have heard you. Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly. He will become the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation. 21 But my covenant I establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you at this set time next year.”
22 When he finished talking with him, God went up from Abraham. 23 Abraham took Ishmael his son, all who were born in his house, and all who were bought with his money; every male among the men of Abraham’s house, and circumcised the flesh of their foreskin in the same day, as God had said to him. 24 Abraham was ninety-nine years old, when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.25 Ishmael, his son, was thirteen years old when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin. 26 In the same day both Abraham and Ishmael, his son, were circumcised.27 All the men of his house, those born in the house, and those bought with money of a foreigner, were circumcised with him."

Genesis 18
18:1 "Yahweh appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day. 2 He lifted up his eyes and looked, and saw that three men stood opposite him. When he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself to the earth, 3 and said, “My lord, if now I have found favor in your sight, please don’t go away from your servant. 4 Now let a little water be fetched, wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree. 5 I will get a morsel of bread so you can refresh your heart. After that you may go your way, now that you have come to your servant.”
They said, “Very well, do as you have said.”
6 Abraham hurried into the tent to Sarah, and said, “Quickly prepare three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes.” 7 Abraham ran to the herd, and fetched a tender and good calf, and gave it to the servant. He hurried to dress it. 8 He took butter, milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them. He stood by them under the tree, and they ate.
9 They asked him, “Where is Sarah, your wife?”
He said, “See, in the tent.”
10 He said, “I will certainly return to you when the season comes round. Behold, Sarah your wife will have a son.”
Sarah heard in the tent door, which was behind him. 11 Now Abraham and Sarah were old, well advanced in age. Sarah had passed the age of childbearing. 12 Sarah laughed within herself, saying, “After I have grown old will I have pleasure, my lord being old also?”
13 Yahweh said to Abraham, “Why did Sarah laugh, saying, ‘Will I really bear a child, yet I am old?’ 14 Is anything too hard for Yahweh? At the set time I will return to you, when the season comes round, and Sarah will have a son.”
15 Then Sarah denied, saying, “I didn’t laugh,” for she was afraid.
He said, “No, but you did laugh.”
16 The men rose up from there, and looked toward Sodom. Abraham went with them to see them on their way. 17 Yahweh said, “Will I hide from Abraham what I do,18 since Abraham has surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth will be blessed in him? 19 For I have known him, to the end that he may command his children and his household after him, that they may keep the way of Yahweh, to do righteousness and justice; to the end that Yahweh may bring on Abraham that which he has spoken of him.” 20 Yahweh said, “Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous, 21 I will go down now, and see whether their deeds are as bad as the reports which have come to Me. If not, I will know.”
22 The men turned from there, and went toward Sodom, but Abraham stood yet before Yahweh. 23 Abraham drew near, and said, “Will you consume the righteous with the wicked? 24 What if there are fifty righteous within the city? Will you consume and not spare the place for the fifty righteous who are in it? 25 Be it far from you to do things like that, to kill the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous should be like the wicked. May that be far from you. Shouldn’t the Judge of all the earth do right?”
26 Yahweh said, “If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sake.” 27 Abraham answered, “See now, I have taken it on myself to speak to the Lord, who am but dust and ashes. 28 What if there will lack five of the fifty righteous? Will you destroy all the city for lack of five?”
He said, “I will not destroy it, if I find forty-five there.”
29 He spoke to him yet again, and said, “What if there are forty found there?”
He said, “I will not do it for the forty’s sake.”
30 He said, “Oh don’t let the Lord be angry, and I will speak. What if there are thirty found there?”
He said, “I will not do it, if I find thirty there.”
31 He said, “See now, I have taken it on myself to speak to the Lord. What if there are twenty found there?”
He said, “I will not destroy it for the twenty’s sake.”
32 He said, “Oh don’t let the Lord be angry, and I will speak just once more. What if ten are found there?”
He said, “I will not destroy it for the ten’s sake.”
33 Yahweh went his way, as soon as He had finished communing with Abraham, and Abraham returned to his place."

Genesis 19
19:1 "The two angels came to Sodom at evening. Lot sat in the gate of Sodom. Lot saw them, and rose up to meet them. He bowed himself with his face to the earth, 2 and he said, “See now, my lords, please turn aside into your servant’s house, stay all night, wash your feet, and you can rise up early, and go on your way.”
They said, “No, but we will stay in the street all night.”
3 He urged them greatly, and they came in with him, and entered into his house. He made them a feast, and baked unleavened bread, and they ate. 4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, surrounded the house, both young and old, all the people from every quarter. 5 They called to Lot, and said to him, “Where are the men who came in to you this night? Bring them out to us, that we may have sex with them.”
6 Lot went out to them to the door, and shut the door after him. 7 He said, “Please, my brothers, don’t act so wickedly. 8 See now, I have two virgin daughters. Please let me bring them out to you, and you may do to them what seems good to you. Only don’t do anything to these men, because they have come under the shadow of my roof.”
9 They said, “Stand back!” Then they said, “This one fellow came in to live as a foreigner, and he appoints himself a judge. Now will we deal worse with you, than with them!” They pressed hard on the man Lot, and drew near to break the door.10 But the men reached out their hand, and brought Lot into the house to them, and shut the door. 11 They struck the men who were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great, so that they wearied themselves to find the door.
12 The men said to Lot, “Do you have anybody else here? Sons-in-law, your sons, your daughters, and whoever you have in the city, bring them out of the place: 13 for we will destroy this place, because the outcry against them has grown great before Yahweh that Yahweh has sent us to destroy it.”
14 Lot went out, and spoke to his sons-in-law, who were pledged to marry his daughters, and said, “Get up! Get out of this place, for Yahweh will destroy the city.”
But he seemed to his sons-in-law to be joking. 15 When the morning came, then the angels hurried Lot, saying, “Get up! Take your wife, and your two daughters who are here, lest you be consumed in the iniquity of the city.” 16 But he lingered; and the men grabbed his hand, his wife’s hand, and his two daughters’ hands, Yahweh being merciful to him; and they took him out, and set him outside of the city. 17 It came to pass, when they had taken them out, that he said, “Escape for your life! Don’t look behind you, and don’t stay anywhere in the plain. Escape to the mountains, lest you be consumed!”
18 Lot said to them, “Oh, not so, my lord. 19 See now, your servant has found favor in your sight, and you have magnified your loving kindness, which you have shown to me in saving my life. I can’t escape to the mountain, lest evil overtake me, and I die. 20 See now, this city is near to flee to, and it is a little one. Oh let me escape there (isn’t it a little one?), and my soul will live.”
21 He said to him, “Behold, I have granted your request concerning this thing also, that I will not overthrow the city of which you have spoken. 22 Hurry, escape there, for I can’t do anything until you get there.” Therefore the name of the city was called Zoar.*
23 The sun had risen on the earth when Lot came to Zoar. 24 Then Yahweh rained on Sodom and on Gomorrah sulfur and fire from Yahweh out of the sky. 25 He overthrew those cities, all the plain, all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew on the ground. 26 But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt.
27 Abraham got up early in the morning to the place where he had stood before Yahweh. 28 He looked toward Sodom and Gomorrah, and toward all the land of the plain, and looked, and saw that the smoke of the land went up as the smoke of a furnace.
29 It happened, when God destroyed the cities of the plain, that God remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the middle of the overthrow, when he overthrew the cities in which Lot lived.
30 Lot went up out of Zoar, and lived in the mountain, and his two daughters with him; for he was afraid to live in Zoar. He lived in a cave with his two daughters.31 The firstborn said to the younger, “Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in to us in the way of all the earth. 32 Come, let’s make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve our father’s seed.” 33 They made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father. He didn’t know when she lay down, nor when she arose. 34 It came to pass on the next day, that the firstborn said to the younger, “Behold, I lay last night with my father. Let us make him drink wine again, tonight. You go in, and lie with him, that we may preserve our father’s seed.” 35 They made their father drink wine that night also. The younger went and lay with him. He didn’t know when she lay down, nor when she got up. 36 Thus both of Lot’s daughters were with child by their father. 37 The firstborn bore a son, and named him Moab. He is the father of the Moabites to this day. 38 The younger also bore a son, and called his name Ben Ammi. He is the father of the children of Ammon to this day."

No comments:

Post a Comment