- with the house of Israel.
- After those days," says the Lord;
- "I will put my laws into their mind,
- I will also write them on their heart.
- I will be their God, and they will be my people.
- 11 They will not teach every man his fellow citizen, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for all will know me, from their least to their greatest.
- 12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness. I will remember their sins and lawless deeds no more."
2) It is made with Israel after the days when God regathers Israel and resettles them in the land.
3) God will put His laws into their mind, which means God still requires obedience of His people (Isa 59:20-21 indicates that this is a function of the Holy Spirit, after the Redeemer comes to Zion).
4) God will also write His laws on their heart, which means the spot where they make their decisions will have God's values; in Proverbs 3:1-3 and 7:1-3 the wise write God's law on their own heart.
5) He will be their God, and they will be His people, which means they will live in covenantal loyalty with Him, keeping His requirements, and looking only to Him for help and protection.
6) All will know God, probably because of His presence in the Millennial temple, so that there will be no need for teaching.
7) God will be merciful, no longer holding their sins and lawless deeds against them, but will reinstate them as His privileged people.
The fact that a New Covenant was promised showed that the Old Covenant was not permanent and would become obsolete. See comments on Jeremiah 31:31 for a deeper understanding of the New Covenant. New Testament believers receive the blessings of the Holy Spirit, especially in His sanctifying and renewing work, but the New Covenant as promised to Israel in the OT is still future.
Application: Since it's inevitable that we die and face judgment, it might be a good idea to use the time we have on earth preparing to do well at the judgment seat of Christ.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, please guide me in living to please You so I can eagerly anticipate Your return in glory. Amen.
Application: God has given us all we need to progress in faith, hope and love as we await His return to reward His faithful servants.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, thanks for all You've done to save and sanctify me, and make possible a great future with You; help me draw on Your Spirit to keep my conscience and actions aligned with Your will. Amen.