Prayer: Lord, I know that You are totally adequate for all my needs; show me how to comfort and revive myself by Your word. Amen.
- offending/hurting them,
- by not meeting their expectations or
- undermining their worth/value
- by doing or not doing v, w, x, y, and/or z.
- trust in God's sovereignty and sufficiency,
- and looking to the other person to meet needs that only God can meet.
Prayer: Lord, thanks that You are totally sufficient for all my needs; when I'm tempted to think otherwise, remind me to seek You, rather than use and abuse other people. Amen.
Psalm 22:26 The poor shall eat and be satisfied; Those who seek Him will praise the LORD. Let your heart live forever! 27 All the ends of the world Shall remember and turn to the LORD, and all the families of the nations Shall worship before You. 28 For the kingdom is the LORD's, and He rules over the nations. 29 All the prosperous of the earth Shall eat and worship; All those who go down to the dust Shall bow before Him, even he who cannot keep himself alive. 30 A posterity shall serve Him. It will be recounted of the Lord to the next generation, 31 They will come and declare His righteousness to a people who will be born, That He has done this.
Daniel 7:3 " I was watching in the night visions, And behold, One like the Son of Man, Coming with the clouds of heaven! He came to the Ancient of Days, And they brought Him near before Him. 14 Then to Him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, That all peoples, nations, and languages should serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion, Which shall not pass away, And His kingdom the one Which shall not be destroyed.”
- Going/as you go - describes when to make disciples; it is a lifestyle for all followers of Jesus, as they go though life.
- Baptizing – is not about getting people wet; but about immersing them into the power/name of the Triune God. Jesus here makes another claim to deity. Knowing God is an essential part of a relationship with Him. Recall the scores of OT passages where “name” was understood as character, power, glory and reputation. A disciple needs to develop an intimate relationship with God as He really is, not just get dunked or damp.
- Teaching to obey – it's not just teaching, but teaching that results in obedience. After the words are ended, there must be something to think, believe, feel, value, be, or do, in order to obey it. The Hebrew word for teach is a verb form that means “cause to learn”. Dozens of times God told the Israelites the importance of being “careful to observe to do all” that God said. It's no different after the resurrection (nor the New Covenant). Note that it's not just a few dos or don'ts. It's about being care to observe to do ALL that Jesus commanded (which would include this command). Loving God wholeheartedly, and loving your neighbor as yourself are a tall order and a little nebulous, especially considering the skewed view of love in our culture. Turbocharge your life as a disciple with denying oneself to do what's right in God's sight (which you have to learn about in order to do it), and seeking first reward in His kingdom, and developing the righteousness He desires (Mt 6:33), then pass it on. “Learning the Truth, Living the Truth, and Loving others with the Truth” is a good roadmap.